IREAD-3 Results are In!
In 2021-2022, 94.7% of third-grade students at Porter Lakes Elementary School passed the IREAD-3 assessment, the 15th highest percentage of students in a district in Indiana. Way to go, students and staff at Porter Lakes!
Our second-grade students opted to take the assessment for the first time, joining 400 schools across the state and 20,000 other second-grade students. Across Indiana, 62% of second-grade students were on track to pass or passed the IREAD-3 assessment in second grade. At PLE, 86% of second-grade students were on track to pass or passed the IREAD-3 assessment! What’s more astounding is that the Indiana average pass rate for third-grade students was 81.6%! Way to go, PLE students and staff!
Why does this matter?
Reading research shows that third grade is a pivotal moment and learning to read by third grade is one indicator of future academic success. This is why Indiana is measuring reading proficiency in third grade.
While we take the approach that we do not like to solely base a child’s learning on one test given at one moment and use that to determine a student’s proficiency level or as the sole determining factor of future success (we prefer to look at multiple assessments, multiple factors, and what our teachers see in the classroom every day along with all of the ways a student can show intelligence)–we are proud of our students and staff as they demonstrate high levels of proficiency!
Here are some dates to keep on your calendar!
- Sept 5: No School, Labor Day
- October 13: 30 Minute Early Dismissal All Buildings, Parent/Teacher Conferences PLE/BGE
- October 13: End of First Quarter
- October 17: Parent/Teacher Conferences BGMS/BGHS
- October 18: 30 Minute Early Dismissal All Buildings, Parent Teacher Conferences All Buildings
- October 20-21: No School, Fall Break
- November 8: eLearning All Buildings
- November 23-25: No School, Thanksgiving Break
- December 20: End of Second Quarter and First Semester
- December 21-January 3: No School, Winter Break
- January 4: First day back after break!
- January 16: No School, MLK Day (Potential Snow Day Makeup Day)
- February 17: No School (Potential Snow Day Makeup Day)
- February 20: No School, President’s Day
- March 10: End of Third Quarter
- March 27-31: No School, Spring Break
- April 7: No School (Potential Snow Day Makeup Day)
- April 10: No School (Potential Snow Day Makeup Day)
- May 2: eLearning All Buildings
- May 24: End of Fourth Quarter, Last Day of School Students
- May 26: BGHS Graduation
- June 2: Alternative BGHS Graduation
Check this out! Art teacher, Mr. Boyer has an upcoming art exhibition! Way to go, Mr. Boyer!
Have a PTSC Standout to share? Send it to email@example.com.
Things to Know/Do:
- INDOT will be closing SR 2 east of CR 500 W at the end of this week for the next 6-8 weeks to replace a structure and then pave the unpaved portion. This is a small stretch of roadway that will be closed, but you will not be able to reach CR 500 W from Valparaiso on Hwy 2.
- Want to receive a notification when there is a new post on the PTSC Updates? At the top of the page, click on the menu with the 3 lines and enter your email address. This will allow you to receive notifications as updates are made!
- Now hiring substitute teachers! Please contact Linda Dusek at the administration building if you are interested in substitute teaching and she will help you start the application process and discuss your qualifications.
- Tell your friends and neighbors about this new way to know what is happening at PTSC! Even if your neighbors don’t have kids in school tell them about our weekly updates so they can hear the great news of what happens at PTSC!
- Every Wednesday is a 30-minute delayed start. If we have a 2-hour delay, students will arrive at school 2 hours after the regular start time for the building.